The research on thin-film transistors and sensors is targeting towards direct application in industrial, automotive, energy, and consumer electronics.
Novel features like
- bendability, mechanical flexibility,
- negligible space consumption (ultrathin systems),
- facile, low-cost production and mounting schemes,
- or transparency
allow for add-on functionalities in traditional products or advanced sensing and control schemes in challenging electronics.
Reference systems and ongoing research include
- thin-film sensors
- electrolyte sensors for sports and agricultural application
- ultrathin temperature sensors for automotive/consumer products and optical applications
- capacitive sensors for detection of touch, presence, fill levels, etc.
- sensor integration with low-cost packaging goods and automotive interior controls
- specialty thin-film transistors:
- large-area OLED drivers,
- high-frequency TFTs up to 0.1 GHz,
- display backplane concepts